Focus: How can we empower ourselves as strong visual readers?
You can access all of today's slides by clicking HERE.
1. Warm-up: Celebrating a few A+ blogs!
2. Recapping Friday's reading strategy and trying out a second reading strategy with some tougher paintings
3. Reading the myth of Daedalus and Icarus (which you can access by clicking HERE)
Making sense of the myth...
(a) Imagine Icarus as the average 21st century teenager and Daedalus as the typical father. What qualities does Icarus share with you or your friends? What qualities does Daedalus share with your father/stepfather/friend's father?
(b) What might the "wings" translate into in the 21st century?
(c) What might the sun symbolize? What about the water?
(d) What are the lessons to be learned here?
4. Returning to last night's painting armed with yet one more reading strategy
5. Composing your "exit ticket": Go back to the painting you analyzed over the weekend. Employing at least one of the three reading strategies we've talked about so far, add something to your original comment that you didn't understand or notice the first time around.
1. Bring a HARD COPY of meaningful and appropriate song lyrics to class tomorrow (in other words, there needs to be something of substance in there to analyze; avoid lyrics that may offend others).
2. Bring in the song itself and headphones.
3. You need your independent reading book and blue permission slip this Friday.