Tuesday, January 14, 2014

We're English 10 Nerds and Loving It: January 14, 2014

Focus: Which story am I going to tell for my memoir?

Please turn in your signed class policies and your LWG books.

1. Warm-up: Looking over the Random Autobiography lines posted on yesterday's blog (you'll see ones from all three classes).

FIRST...

  • Please comment on five different people's lines.
  • Always, always be respectful of each other's writing (we're not critiquing, just commenting and questioning).
  • The more specific your comment is, the better.
THEN....
  • Use any of the following topics to inspire a good ten minutes of writing:
  • Your first day of kindergarten
  • Learning to ride your bike
  • Learning to drive a car
  • Getting into trouble at school
  • A time in which your friend was mean to you
  • Getting punished by your parents
  • The first time you asked someone out
  • The first time someone asked you out
  • The first time you got dumped
  • The first time you dumped someone
  • The first time you had to perform something in front of a crowd
2. Setting up your "Clock Peer Editors"

3. Reading a sample short memoir together (by David Sedaris), with two questions in mind:

Which parts of this story grab you and why?
How does the narrator subtly change throughout the story? What brings about these changes?

4. Viewing yourself as a character:

Pretend that you see yourself walking into a room.  What's your first impression of yourself? What stands out about you? Think about what you're wearing, the way you carry yourself, the way you talk to other people, etc.

Optional: Extend this exercise by changing the "room" you are entering. How does this change your impression?


HW: 
1. Finish the exercise above if we did not finish it (or even get to it) today.

2. Walk in tomorrow with a strong idea about which "moment of change" you want to write about.  You will be asked to compose a premise for it, to chart out your plotline, and to start writing.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see myself walk into Mrs. Leclaire's language arts class like everyday. I see myself still tired from waking us so early this morning I slowly walk over to my seat talk to my friends as I go until the announcements come on. My eye's are barely open and it looks I could fall asleep at any second. I'm wearing shorts and a sweat shirt I feel and look comfortable in my clothes despite how cold it is outside. All though I look tired I seem happy to see my friends and that lunch is next period for me. I talk to other people as I see them I walk over to a few because I don't want to seem like a loner. I try to make my friends laugh as I talk to them tell them stories about things i have seen or done that were stupid or weird. I then do the pledge and go to my seat and go through the lesson plan like every day.

    ReplyDelete