Focus: What patterns are emerging in A Long Way Gone?
1. Warm-up: Close reading of Chapter 1 and quick recap of Chapters 2-17
Open a new document and call it "Patterns in A Long Way Gone"
On a surface level, this chapter is about...
On a deeper level, this chapter is about...
Circle up: Read aloud the two statements you have finished for your particular chapter.
Listeners: Write down any repeated words or any words that strike you as particularly important.
Conclusions: What patterns are you noticing? What's staying the same? What's evolving? What's devolving?
2. Fishbowl discussion: Chapters 15-17
1st Hour Fishbowl
3rd Hour Fishbowl
6th Hour Fishbowl
1. Remember that this Friday is the deadline for all missed and make-up work (including vocab quizzes, missed fishbowl discussions, etc.).
2. Cumulative vocabulary test this Friday on Chapters 1-10. On Wednesday, please bring to class your Chapter 10 flashcards so that I can give you credit. Bring ALL VOCABULARY to class Wednesday for a cumulative review.
3. Start reading and annotating Chapters 18 and 19 to prepare for Thursday's fishbowl discussion; bring A Long Way Gone to class each day so that I can check everyone's annotations this week.
4. Show up for your conference if you signed up for one; if you were supposed to conference with me on Thursday or Friday before break, please come see me to reschedule.